Morgen – Morgen
This 2/LP gatefold vinyl is available with:
Now-Again Reserve: a deluxe vinyl subscription.
The definitive reissue of an album in the top-ten list of every psychedelic and hard rock enthusiast: Morgen, the sole album by the New York City band that bore leader, songwriter and vocalist Steve Morgen’s surname.
That casual listeners have never heard of this late 1960s masterpiece is by any measure a musical injustice. This changes with the Now-Again Reserve Edition of Morgen, pairing the known album with previously-unreleased songs, alternate takes and instrumentals on a 3 LP set (the bonus third LP is available only to subscribers).
Morgen offers a portal to a dream space where the expansive, artful touches never prevent the band members from pummeling their instruments like their lives depended on it. Paul Major, perhaps the first Morgen evangelist, likens the album’s immediacy to that of Hendrix, stating “Morgen was one of the records that came closest to giving me that same kind of thrill on that level. It blew my mind!”
Geoffrey Weiss – Now-Again’s nomination for World’s Greatest Record Collector – states “…unlike 95% of the rare psychedelic records that people celebrate it sounds like they were good musicians who were well rehearsed and had worked out this sound very intentionally. Morgen has a kind of power – you really can’t compare it to anything.”
The band, and Morgen’s arc were – cribbing Kurt Vonnegut – unstuck in time. It 50 years for Steve Morgen’s belief, for instance, that an alternate, superior version of his stellar “Purple” was recorded in 1968. It sees release here, alongside other takes of songs from the album, including a version of “Beggin’ Your Pardon (Ms. Joan)” on which Morgen’s fiery guitarist Murray Shiffrin sings lead and songs the band recorded as possibilities for the album, before settling on their dense, hazy vision and etching an indelible entry into the psychedelic canon.
The third LP – available only to subscribers- contains newly mixed instrumentals of key album tracks, done under the supervision of Steve Morgen. Extensive liner notes by Jeff “Chairman” Mao, never-before seen photos and ephemera in an oversized book. Download card for WAV files for all vinyl tracks, as well as bonus tracks.
• Download card for WAV files of all vinyl tracks, and bonus tracks when available.
• LP contains booklet with extensive liner notes detailing the history of the album.
• Delicately lacquered by Electric Mastering in London and perfectly pressed by Independent Record Pressing in Bordentown, New Jersey.
• Vinyl gatefold jackets made in North America with OBI strip and resealable bag; CDs made in North America as 6-panel eco-wallets
• Each of these albums are produced with the direct participation of their creators, all of whom saw their original albums’ releases disappear into the ether.