Now-Again Reserve: a deluxe vinyl subscription.
Custom-made LPs delivered once per quarter, presenting some of the rarest records in their respective genres in highest quality LP format. Each release is produced with the direct participation of the artist.
Subscribe now to begin with the next upcoming release. Catch me up to subscribe and include previous releases.
In response to subscriber comments, Now-Again has made some changes to the Now-Again Reserve subscription: Lower price ($50/quarter); more exclusive music on vinyl; gatefold jackets made in N. America on standard cardstock; vinyl manufacturing will now take place at both Quality and United Record Pressing. The wooden case is discontinued. See full specs below.
Current release: Tom Nehls I Always Catch The Third Second Of A Yellow Light
A rock concept album, as progressive as it is psychedelic, recorded by a 17 year old Tom Nehls and his high school friends in Minneapolis over a three month period in late 1972. Nehls’ original notes describe his influences: The Beatles, Zappa, Tolkien. But that amalgamation cannot prepare you for the depths that this wunderkind explored with first-time engineer Paul Stark, who would later found Twin/Tone Records and sign and develop punk legends The Replacements and dozens of other bands.
Stark custom pressed a run of 1000 copies of the album for Nehls but 900 of them were destroyed when Nehls’ basement flooded. He hand-assembled the remaining copies, spray painting the first few covers and then pasting black and white sheets of paper on the rest. He sold a few copies to friends in his high school. And that, for nearly 20 years, was that.
Legendary psychedelic record collector Rich Haupt, one of the first to discover Nehls’ album over three decades ago, writes “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and true genius never comes in a slick package. If these words are true, I Always Catch The Third Second Of A Yellow Light is the proof.” This album is a welcome addition to the genre Paul Major called “Real People Music;” a wonderful and sincere exploration of the human predicament that reveals more of itself with each listen.
This is the first vinyl reissue of the album, overseen by Nehls with Now-Again’s Eothen “Egon” Alapatt, and mastered from Starks’ original tapes, with previously unreleased music in a bonus second LP – available only to subscribers. Nehls story is told for the first time in an extensive essay by Evan LeVine. The covers are pasted with slicks akin to Nehls’ original album. Download card for WAV files included.
CATCH ME UP:
• Al Manfredi – Blue Gold Al Manfredi is the father of hip-hop producer Exile, and Blue Gold is his little-known West Coast rock masterpiece from 1973.
• Key & Cleary – Love Is The Way Drum-machine soul, funk, disco and boogie from Buffalo, NYC. Rare 7” singles and previously unreleased tracks presented as an album for the first time.
• Paternoster – Die Ersten Tage 2/LP. The OST to Herbert Holba’s 1971 hippie sci-fi film Die ersten Tage (The First Days). Transferred directly from master tapes, never before released in any form.
• Mike Nyoni & Born Free 2/LP. Anthology of Zamrock musician Mike Nyoni’s 1970s recordings, with bonus LP.
• Hunger 2/LP. Late ‘60s West Coast psych–rock, including the user-rare test press version of this sought after album.
• Michael Cosmic & Phill Musra Group – 3/LP set of spiritual and deep jazz, including previously unreleased music by Worlds Experience Orchestra.
• German Oak – 3/LP. Rare Krautrock, the most mysterious in the genre, including previously unreleased music.
• Split Decision Band – 1/LP and 7-inch single. Previously unreleased disco boogie album from Des Moines, Iowa.
• Rob Thomsett– 2/LP. Australian guitarist/visionary Rob Thomsett’s collected works, combined into one package. Originally privately pressed in Canberra, 1975 and ’76, rarely heard examples of the best in progressive jazz/rock.
• The Mark III – 1/LP, 1976. Late-era funk concept album by vocalist backed by a trio of Las Vegas high school kids, produced by Cholly Williams, embellished by session musicians in Hollywood.
• World’s Experience Orchestra – 2/LP set of the group’s 1975 and 1980 albums.
• Paternoster – 1/LP, 1972. This is the band sanctioned, official reissue of an Austrian prog-psych masterpiece, its story told for the first time.
DETAILS FOR EACH RELEASE Updated Jan. 2017
• Each release comes with an exclusive 7” or 12” of music only issued to Now-Again Reserve subscribers
• Download card for WAV files of the album
• Booklet with extensive liner notes detailing the history of the album.
• Remastered by Elysian Masters head engineer Dave Cooley in Los Angeles, delicately lacquered by Electric Mastering in London and perfectly pressed by Independent Record Pressing in Bordentown, New Jersey.
• Vinyl gatefold jackets made in North America; CDs made in North America as 6-panel eco-wallets.
• Each of these albums are produced with the direct participation of their creators, all of whom saw their original albums’ releases disappear into the ether.
SHIPPING: We offer USPS Priority shipping in the USA and First Class USPS International elsewhere. Approximate weight per release is 3 lb (1.36 kg). Exact shipping cost is calculated at checkout. To change shipping info please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
BILLING: $50 / quarter plus shipping. “Catch Me Up” subscribers are billed $320 at first and then $50 / quarter. You’re billed at sign up for your first release and will be billed for subsequent releases at the start of each calendar quarter, with shipment occurring at the end of that calendar quarter. Please note we do NOT accept American Express. To change billing info please email email@example.com
CANCEL AT ANY TIME: While your purchase commits you to the first release, you can cancel at any time. Provided you’ve cancelled before the billing date for the subsequent release, you will not be obligated to purchase that album. To cancel, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
QUESTIONS: Feel free to ask email@example.com