ON SALE NOW: WAKE UP YOU, VOL. 1
ON SALE NOW: WAKE UP YOU, VOL. 2
Rock in the wake of war: Now-Again Records’ decade long investigation into Nigeria’s rock music scene during the 1970s culminates in the release of two album and books.
The Western world was in the throes of peace, love, and flower power as Nigeria descended into Civil War in 1967. The rock scene that developed during the following three years of bloodshed and destruction would come to heal the country, propagate the world-wide ideal of the Modern Nigerian, and propel Fela Kuti to stardom after conflict ended in 1970.
Wake Up You! tells the story of this time, pays homage to these now-forgotten musicians and their struggle, and brings to light the funk and psychedelic fury they created as they wrested free of the ravages of the late 1960s and created thrilling, original Nigerian rock music throughout the 1970s.
Wake Up You! is presented in two 100+ page books full of never-seen photos and the story of the best Nigerian rock bands told in vivid detail by musicologist and researcher Uchenna Ikonne (Who Is William Onyeabor?).
Each volume is presented as both a hardbound book with CD in a resealable plastic sleeve, and as a double LP with a soft-cover book included in a custom-made 12″x 12″ book holder.
AVAILABLE NOW: MADLIB MEDICINE SHOW: THE BRICK ON VINYL
Madlib Medicine Show is a series of album and mixtape releases by Madlib. This is the first time the Madlib Medicine Show “Brick” box set has been released on vinyl. The Brick contains seven albums with thirteen LPs, all of the originally-produced material by Madlib in the series:
In the collection:
1. Madlib Medicine Show #1: Before the Verdict. 2/LP Hip-hop Album feat. Guilty Simpson. Full-length, 17-tracks, combining new material and remixes.
2. Madlib Medicine Show #3: Beat Konducta in Africa. 2/LP Hip-hop Album. Inspired by and based on African records of the early 1970s — obscure & independent vinyl gems from afro-beat, funk, psych-rock, garage-rock & soul movements from Africa.
3. Madlib Medicine Show #5: History of the Loop Digga, 1990-2000. 2/LP Hip-Hop Album. Madlib’s early years, 1990-2000, from beat cassettes produced for local rap crew Crate Digga’s Palace.
4. Madlib Medicine Show #7: High Jazz. 2/LP Jazz Album. All new Madlib productions from his collective of jazz groups and musicians known as Yesterdays Universe.
5. Madlib Medicine Show #9: Channel 85 Presents Nittyville. 2/LP Hip-Hop Album feat. Frank Nitt. Loosely-based concept album around an obscure TV show, Nittyville, running on Channel 85. Full-length, 14 tracks.
6. Madlib Medicine Show #11: Low Budget High Fi. 2/LP Hip-Hop Album. Dirty Demos produced by Madlib, with The Professionals (Madlib+Oh No), MED, Strong Arm Steady, AG, Guilty Simpson, J. Rocc, Supreme Team (Madlib+Karriem Riggins), and Jaylib.
7. Madlib Medicine Show #12 & 13: Filthy Ass Remixes. 1/LP Hip-Hop Remixes. Part mixtape, part beat tape, featuring a host of un-suspecting collaborators that run the gamut from thugs, street poets, star emcees and underdogs. These are select tracks from Vol. 12 and 13 of the Medicine Show CD edition.
ALSO SEE THE CD EDITION
“No More Parties in LA featuring Kendrick Lamar intro produced by me/track by Madlib” Kanye West
Images from Russell Houghten’s Urban Isolation